TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED COPY OF A VITAL RECORD:
ONLY the following people are allowed to make a request for a Vital Statistic record: Subject, subject’s parent, legal guardian, subject’s spouse, subject’s civil union partner/domestic partner, subject’s child, subject’s grandchild, subject’s sibling, a representative of a State or Federal agency for official purposes; or pursuant to a court order.
All applicants must be 18 years of age or older (An exception is made for females under the age of 18 who have given birth to a child, they are permitted to obtain a copy of their child’s birth certificate.)
As per State of New Jersey Executive Order #18, ALL applicants MUST provide proof of identity and relationship, (this includes police, attorneys, and funeral directors).
Acceptable Forms of Primary Identification:
- A current, valid US photo driver’s license showing current address OR a current, valid US driver’s license without a photo and one alternate form of ID with a current address.
- If you do not have a driver’s license as indicated above, then you will need two of the following alternate forms of identification:
- Vehicle registration, vehicle insurance card, passport, voter registration card, green card/immigrant visa, federal/county ID, school ID, W-2 for current/previous year or utility bill/bank statement from within the last 90 days.
- ALL ID MUST BE CURRENT AND NOT EXPIRED.
- PO Boxes are not acceptable addresses and ID must show current physical address.
**Please note that if your last name is different from the person you are requesting the vital record for, you must present documentation to establish your relationship to that person, i.e. Marriage certificate. Please call our office if you need further information.
IF YOU DO NOT MEET ALL OF THE CRITERIA, OR CANNOT COMPLY WITH THESE REQUIREMENTS, OUR OFFICE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU. YOU WILL NEED TO CONTACT THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY OFFICE OF VITAL STATISTIC AT 609-292-4087 or 866-649-8726 toll-free nationwide .
Applications may be found though the Forms link on the left.
- Complete the top portion of the application and only the section you wish to receive a record for.
- Submit signed application providing current address, proof of identity, proof of relationship, payment in the form of check or money order ($5 fee per copy) payable to Borough of Hamburg and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- For mail in applications: CLEAR copies of documents to be submitted are required.
Since special situations may apply, please call our office at 973-827-9230 X 4012 or 4010 for more information.