How to prepare NOW for an emergency
It’s a good idea to prepare for an emergency now just as you should have a family plan in the event of a fire in your home.
- Select the closest designated evacuation route to take if you are asked to evacuate. Write this information on your family emergency response plan and keep it in an accessible location.
- If you think transportation could be a problem during an evacuation check with your neighbors to see if you could ride with one of them in the event of an emergency.
- Plan now to stay with a relative or friend if an evacuation is ordered. If that is not possible, public shelters will be available. Emergency broadcast messages will direct you to the shelter(s) that have been opened. County shelters may be opened during larger emergencies.
- In the event of a school evacuation, tune to your designated school closing radio station to obtain necessary information.
- Keep a supply of batteries on hand for your flashlights and radio.
- Keep an extra set of car keys handy.