Marriage License Application


Marriage License Application

If you are applying for a marriage license and a resident of New Jersey, the license may be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in either municipality that the bride or groom resides in. If the bride is a non-resident, then the license is obtained in the municipality where the groom resides. If both are non-residents of New Jersey, the license would be obtained in the municipality in which you will be getting married in.
The application is filed together with the bride and groom and one (1) witness over the age of 18. There is a three (3) day waiting period for the license to be issued and once issued, it is valid for thirty (30) days. The license fee is $28.00.

Proof of identification is required and can be in the form of a birth certificate, driver license, and passport. If one or both of the applicants are divorced, please bring a copy of the final decree with dates of judgment. Death certificates are also required should that be the case. If the applicant is under the age of 18 years of age, consent of both parents is necessary. Both parental consents and judicial approval of such consents are necessary if the applicant is younger than 16.

Please be advised that the applicants must know both parents names (including mothers’ maiden name) and birth places and the name and address of the person officiating the marriage.

Certified copies of the marriage may be obtained from the registrar in the municipality where the ceremony occurred. The fee per copy is $5.00. Please make your check payable to: The Borough of Hamburg.

Please be advised that there are two (2) golf courses that have Hamburg addresses: Crystal Springs and Ballyowen. These are popular locations for weddings but are not located in The Borough of Hamburg, but rather in Hardyston Township. If you are getting married at either one of these locations, please contact the Hardyston Town Hall at 973-823-7020 should you need to apply for your marriage license. Also advise either Crystal Springs or Ballyowen to forward your license to Hardyston Township at the end of your ceremony.